Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Presenting Meat and Potatoes

No, seriously -- how many ingredients can you fit into a dinner consisting of a main, a side, a salad and a couple of sneak peaks?

I didn't set out to create such a herculean meal. It just kind of happened.

Bored beyond belief with the standard steak and mashed potatoes ideal, I oped to go for a stretch: Filet mignon and hasselback potatoes in the traditional Swedish sense. Marry this with some endives and portobello mushrooms with a fruity pepper and what do you have?

One beautiful plate.

The filet was most simple. A little bit of salt and some of McCormick's steak seasoning.

Same with the endives and mushrooms, which were prepped for the grill with some olive oil, salt and pepper.

But, alas, Nancy and I got heavy into a discussion about her day and I spaced a bit on the grill. I rushed out to the backyard in a hurry, but it was too late. Half the precious endives and one of the mushrooms looked up from the grill, seething! I had burned them.

Bummer. But I was able to salvage half of the lot.

For the salad, we had spinach, watercress, marinated mushrooms in an olive oil and herb mixture with peppadew peppers, feta, sauteed onions and olive oil.

Making the potatoes was such a treat.

I'd heard of these hasselback potatoes, which hail back to Sweden. Apparently -- from what I understand -- a restaurant developed this method and has since become a staple throughout the country.

It's such a simple procedure.

You cut through the potatoes nearly to the end, then roast them in the oven for about one hour. I used russet potatoes, but removed the skin. I then added butter, salt and pepper and a mixture of spices and other seasonings to the potatoes. They remained in the oven just over one hour with no covering. The texture was quite nice. They could have benefited from some parsley, chives and/or fresh garlic or Parmesean cheese. Alas, this was my first time doing this and I did no follow a recipe to the exact, so I'm still a learner.



1 comment:

  1. Just Googled and read a couple of recipes for the potatoes. One used the technique of placing a chopstick on either side of the tater which keeps you from cutting all the way through. I must do this - and soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog