Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Friday, September 3, 2010

FOOD CHALLENGE: Peaches


Commence the harmonic, angelic music.

Aren't those the most perfect-looking peaches?! And just in time for the food challenge.

In preparing this week's challenge meal, I called it the marriage of opposites. Nancy wanted to know if that, too, is what we would call our wedding. Tee hee. I suppose you have got to know us to get the joke.

Nonetheless, here we go.

I had been boiling my brain trying to figure out what I would make. Peaches?! Goodness. I love a challenge, but what to do with peaches if not a peach cobbler, peach pie, peaches and ice cream...

No to desserts! I wanted to make an entree.

But Nancy brought to mind -- what about breakfast? Or a side? ...a side. Yes! A...peach salsa? Why not.

I got all my ingredients poised: Two not-yet-ripe peaches, lemon and lime, a red bell pepper, an Anaheim pepper, corn on the cob, cilantro, green onions, a red onion and some spices and herbs.

...oh, and salmon. More on that later. That gets to the point about the marriage of opposites.

So, I got my fruit and veggies ready for the grill. I figured that if I were making a salsa, I had to grill the peaches.

I put some olive oil on the grill-bound eats -- with a little bit (just a pinch) of salt for the peaches -- and put the grill on high.

Everything was ready within about a half hour period.

Meanwhile, I was cooking the jasmine rice on the stove with some onion salt and turmeric -- just a tiny bit of turmeric, though. Really, as though the turmeric wasn't even there. I was worried that the flavor would overwhelm everything else. I just wanted a gentle taste of the spice. Turned out that while good, I could have gone a bit more heavy handed with the spice.

When everything was prepped from the grill, I put the grill-less items in a bowl, then let the peaches and vegetables cool a bit before chopping them up.

Once chopped, I tossed them with the rest of the items and added just a few drops of Sriracha for the heat effect. What's salsa without heat? Turned out to be a good addition, though I did experiment with chili oil first. That was a bad, bad, bad idea! Blecht! Thank goodness only a spoonful went to waste.

The salmon was baked, quite simply, with butter, salt and parsley with a splash of lemon throughout. This is my fall-back salmon recipe.

And I am still working on my presentation, so I opted to cut the salmon into these strange triangles to bump up against the rice mold. Nancy said the rice mold reminded her of hospital food; the triangle salmon reminded me of quiche.

Next time I will go vertical for an elaborate show!

The peaches did quite well in the "salsa" -- but I should have grilled them much longer. Turned out I only grilled them on the exposed part. It may have benefited the flavor having grilled both sides and much longer! The peaches simply didn't pick up the slightly charred essence I was hoping to achieve.

So, yeah -- everything independent of one another was pretty tasty. But, together, created a weird amalgamation of I don't know what.

Still, Nancy and I both felt it was a good meal. Plenty of food with the one serving, so we'll have lots of leftovers to toss into other dishes. With the peach salsa, I am thinking it would be best served in tacos or over a steak. Perhaps.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the dishes but it would be good if we give receipe even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! Thanks for stopping in and reading. Just so you know, I rarely cook from recipes. Tonight was one of those nights where I just kind of tossed everything together. In fact, I am notorious for not measuring! But I post any recipes I do follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such fun to read. I've been thinking recently about pork cutlets and peaches which was one of my earliest blog posts - 08/11/08. This goes so far back that I didn't even have a camera then. I remember nothing about this except that I think we really liked it. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Stephen! I'll check out that earlier blog you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog