Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

FOOD CHALLENGE: Buttermilk

"Hum...what about mashed potatoes?

"No, no...not that. ...or potato pancakes?

"That might be too predicable. Perhaps baked potato folds? My goa, what are those? Well...I could make it up. Improvise, you know. That would be a good challenge. At least I would be working the good old mental muscles. *tee hee* Yeah....

"Or how about some sort of baked potato mash?"

Welcome to the mind of a Libra. My goodness -- I love food challenge night!!!

I knew I would be working with Yukon Gold potatoes. It's what I had on hand that seemed the perfect match for buttermilk. So, I boiled these with garlic salt and oregano until they were soft, but not breaking apart in the water.

Now, realize that I am coming to these aformentioned thoughts WHILE I am preparing to make mashed potatoes and mashed potatoes only.

When the potatoes were nearly done, I decided to whisk together an egg with sugar, salt and pepper. "Why not?" I thought. After adding the potatoes to the mix, I included cake flour, Parmesan cheese, baking soda and baking powder. I figured that, at this point, I was making some sort of patty.

Perhaps.

I also sauteed some chives in butter, adding that to the mix at the very end with some other things my mind cannot recall at the moment. Of course. I always throw a few thins in last minute.

Yeah...I wasn't sure where I was going with all this.

I am not even sure what to call these.

They are like...I don't know -- potato souffles almost.

Almost.

The taste is very remnant of mashed potatoes, but as though the mashed potatoes had met a nice, fluffy cake out for a rendezvous. The concoction was quite soft, but not buttery as anticipated. I served the dish with a little bit of paprika and sour cream.

I would make them again, but with much less potatoes! I think the subtle flavor of potatoes would have made for a much better dish.

5 comments:

  1. The name of "Potato Souffles" sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your creativity. Love buttermilk, love potatoes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog!
    This looks so delicious!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a terrific dish. I'll wager it's delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popping back in to answer your question. The thighs have a higher fat content than the breast. By chopping them myself I can control and retain texture. Mary

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog