Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

FOOD CHALLENGE: Broth

I thought broth was for soups.

Alas, I was wrong in making that simple, simple assumption.

But food challenge night, so time to experiment.

I decided to try a three-tiered attempt at cooking chicken: boil it, broil it, then grill it. I omitted step two.

In the end, the concoction was amazing. 

I slowly boiled chicken thighs for about 40 minutes. But instead of using water, I used chicken broth. I know, I know. Weird though. Why would I think this up? Not sure, but it worked. Really -- bear with me.

So, yeah, chicken in chicken broth -- but with two bay leaves and some onion salt, pepper, garlic and chives and not sure what else I threw in there at the end.
When the chicken was nearly finished cooking, I placed them on the grill while I prepared gravy. Honestly, this was an afterthought. And all I added was some soy sauce and flour. Next time I will have to be extra careful, perhaps adding much less soy sauce because as the gravy reduced, it became more salty. But not too salty, thank goodness.

I prepared some couscous with Parmesan and served the couscous and chicken, slathering the gravy over the mix.

Quite impressed!

I have cooked gravy I don't know how many times, relying on my material great-grandmother's -- her name was Viola -- recipe of flour, oil and soy sauce, but with the garlic, chives and seasoning this was much more robust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog