Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

FOOD CHALLENGE: Coffee

 
Seriously, I had no idea how this would turn out. As I was laying the chicken over a bed of Yukon gold potatoes within an foil wrap, I chucked to myself: "Whole beans baked with chicken. Bah! This will never work!"

Part of me was ecstatic! I figured this was a creative try.

But another part felt I was lazy:

"What, really? You're not even going to do anything with the beans? Just sit them there, in a foil wrap? Just like that? Nothing...fancy? Nothing that requires, what...I don't know. Time and procedure? No? ...oh, OK."

I even had a backup meal, expecting this one to fail -- miserably.

But, yeah. Coffee beans?!

Like that part in "Young Frankenstein" when Frankenstein yells, "Sedagive?!" That's kind of how I felt as I was preparing the dish -- as though I was creating some monstrosity of a dish.

All the while I imagined myself at 3 in the morning, rocking gently while murmuring, "Must sleep. Must sleep! Please, just sleep!" 

I have never cooked with coffee. Never even considered it. I thought of just about everything: A cake with ground coffee. A coffee rub with steak. A mixture post blender phase. But all of those things seemed too strange to try.

But what about baking whole beans to grab the flavor and essence of coffee, but without the bite? I thought I had stumbled upon an invention! Something that would become a common method in households around the world! A culinary feat that would change us all!

...but, alas, someone had already thought this up.

Ah, well...I set out to try it anyway -- but my own way.

With my naturally raised chicken and potatoes I included in the wrap sprinkles of salt, Old Bay seasoning, cumin and -- cinnamon? That was a mistake. I was going for the cumin but accidentally went for the cinnamon instead. Turned out well with some olive oil and small dabs of butter.

I baked this about 40 minutes and removed the beans for plating. 

The flavor was full. Bulbous. Shapely. I was so impressed! All this using French Roast beans. It was meaty, almost, leathery. Something worth writing home about and preparing again. What a delight.

6 comments:

  1. Who woulda thunk? What a whacky idea. Do I have the courage to try it? Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! Hmmm... I always think of coffee in desserts, not savory dishes, but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I'm torn between a savory dish and dessert. Maybe I'll do both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not meant to be false praise. You are a really creative cook and have come up with something that sounds really interesting. I have to give this a try. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a super interesting idea. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog