Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Culinary Love Letter

I have written Nancy countless love letters -- sent them to her e-mail inbox; mailed them to her doorstep; left them in strange places, like her coffee bean jar or freezer; left them under her dinner plate and the like.

But what about a culinary love letter?

Once the thought was in my head it became an obsession. But where to begin?

This wasn't because her birthday was coming, or that I was preparing for our anniversary. It was a sheer "just because."

Sure, I have meticulously prepared meals in her honor, being quite careful about the types of ingredients included. Among the prominent food items that she enjoys are:

Chocolate (and, no, there is no coincidence that I listed this item first)
Steak: Tenderloin (filet mignon), ribeye, T-bone, flank
Lamb
Salmon
Light pasta 
Flat bread
Bruschetta and crostini
Salads

Of course this is a tremendously condensed list. Nancy has a broad palate, as do I. 

But I wanted to produce something so complex and succulent and full of flavor and color, something that would indicate the tremendous love I feel for her.

And so today I set out to prepare a love note in the form of a dinner.

The list of ingredients is lengthy.

For the desert: Pears, strawberries, cinnamon, vanilla extract, heavy creme, sugar, creme cheese and red wine.

For the entree: Pork tenderloin, blue cheese, hibiscus flowers, hoisin sauce, spinach, salt and pepper, paprika and onion salt.

For the sides: Basil, eggs, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, zucchini, yellow squash, feta cheese, kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, truffle oil and cucumber.

With these ingredients, I prepared an entree, which consisted of the stuffed tenderloin, and a vegetable timbale.

Dessert consisted of the strawberries and poached pears, drizzled in a creme that included a red wine reduction.

And thank goodness for gorgeous weather. As I was preparing the table -- about 15 minutes before Nancy would arrive -- I decided to set the table outside instead. The weather was nice. We had gorgeous overcast. And a lovely breeze.

Looks like I pulled it off well.  Look at that lovely expression:

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely gesture on your part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! I LOVE pork tenderloin. I also love dining outdoors... very romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's lovely!! I can't wait for an outdoor/indoor lovefest! And the food, as always, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone! I appreciate the kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. too funny Nancy...you are a good model with the food and Wine

    ReplyDelete
  6. You created a feast. No wonder she looks happy. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog