Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bursting with Flavor

We had a dinner guest last night. My, I do love entertaining. I decided to make a brisket and toss together a salad and couscous. Very, very simple.

I began cooking Monday night. I had to make a stock. In restroscpect, I’m not sure why…there was chicken stock in the fridge….

Well, it was good exercise.

I had been saving the chicken bones from the doro wat, but didn’t have enough bones, so ended up using bouillon as well. And, true to my character, I couldn’t keep it simple and just use the chicken bouillon. I added beef and shrimp bouillon just out of curiosity. I figured that if it turned out horrible, I would simply add water and seasoning to the crock pot while cooking the brisket.

I cooked this with a few garlic cloves (whole) for about two hours, skimming off the top periodically.

In the morning, I browed the brisket in a skillet and into the crock pot it went with the stock/ bouillon concoction on low heat for eight hours.

But when I returned from work, it wasn’t quite ready! Didn’t make sense – this was only a one-pounder. I turned up the heat to high and cooked it for about another hour and a half. It was just about ready then.

The salad was quite simple – much like the one I made a few days ago with black truffle oil as the only dressing.

Then I set out on making the couscous. I wanted to use turmeric. Just because. So, I saut̩ed some onions in a bit of olive oil, added the water and then also added a tablespoon Рmaybe a little bit less Рof turmeric with some cinnamon and two garlic cloves and chives. What a fantastic idea!

And that was that. Dinner. Honestly, though – my photos do not do the meal any justice at all!

And this week's challenge: yogurt! Eek. What to make?!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how long some things take to cook? A good piece of brisket is worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And it doesn't look like much of anything either.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog