Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Black Figs, Etcetera

I have wanted to prepare figs since I first had them about four months ago. A friend of mine had plucked them fresh from her mother's yard. The green, tear-shaped fruit felt full in my mouth. I couldn't believe I had never had them before.

So, when I found a container tonight at Trader Joe's I immediately snatched it up!

I boiled some mirin in a pot with a pinch of salt and reduced it about 1/4 before adding the cut figs for about two to three minutes. I then removed them and added the tiniest pinch of sugar to each before letting them cool in the fridge.

Dinner was quite simple. I prepared a salad, focusing more on the presentation than the ingredients, along with filet mignon with lemon dripped broccoli and two types of mushrooms -- oyster and portobella. The mushrooms were gently sauteed in olive oil. Toward the end, I added a slight bit of fresh garlic and tapa marinade for the finish.

Then came the dessert!

I am usually not fanatic about dessert. I don't care much for sweets, actually. I much prefer salt -- so I tend to go with cheese for my after dinner treat.

For the finish, I crumbled a bit of goat cheese over the figs and gave Nancy some chocolate. It was a very round meal, but I found that adding blue cheese to the figs created a much more substantial flavor. The goat cheese was wonderful, but it had nearly the same consistency as the fig. The blue cheese and its more meaty texture and sharpness added a greatness to the figs that I had not expected. Luscious. 

2 comments:

  1. I had figs in a dish with scallops back in March and I was surprised how much I love them. When I thought figs I thought of Fig Newtons, which I HATE! Fresh figs are entirely different!

    Are figs in season? My cooking mags are full of recipes for them and I've even seen them available in bulk at Costco. I just don't know what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only recently developed a fondness for figs. The only ones I can get at Safeway are dried (except for a brief time when they are in season, and I'm not even sure when that is). Oh, for a Trader Joe's! I'm with you when it comes to desserts, rarely eat them. Your figs are beautiful, as is the salad.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog