Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Twist on Lamb Burgers, along with a Mustard Spread

Generally, if Nancy and I are having lamb, we prefer rib chops and loin chops. Typically I will make some sort of spice rub for the lamb, then grill them, serving them with any number of sides, such as mashed potatoes or a basic salad perhaps. Nothing to deter too much from the delicious taste of well-cooked lamb. But Nancy had a craving for lamb burgers -- something I had never prepared. I figured it would be a fun challenge.

Off to the market I went to purchase lamb mince and additions for the side salad: artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, tomatoes and cucumber.

It must have been about one year ago that I realized my salads were So. Very. Bland. My technique now is to marinade the tomatoes in olive oil, fresh garlic and lemon (when in the mood) before tossing it with the rest of the other parts of the salad. And I would say that 90 percent of the time, we do not need any salad dressing at all. Typically we'll drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar on the salad before, but this salad, which included feta cheese, was robust enough that it required no other attention.

Next up: After an unsuccessful try at making tzatziki (*Mental note: Never, ever buy vanilla yogurt ever again!), I opted to try and pull together a different type of spread. I took about three tablespoons of honey mustard (without the mustard seeds), added about one tablespoon each of paprika, cumin and olive oil then beat the mixture until it was soft.

All this time, the lamb mince was marinating in a little bit of olive oil with onion garlic and herb spices. While shaping them, I placed a small cube of feta at the center.

Next came the bread. Because I did not get buns while at the store (tee hee...), we opted to use the french toast we had on hand. I toasted each in the toaster, then paired one buttered and one unbuttered toast for dinner.

Funny thing -- even though I left a thumbprint in each of the lamb burgers (which we aptly named lamb sliders), they came out looking something like large meatballs. No worries, Nancy simply cut hers in half, placing both halves face down on the bread. Good idea, that one.

What a scrumptious meal! And we most definitely will be having that spread again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog