Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Friday, July 2, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Eruption

Goa, I was going to write something hokey for a blog title, like "Thai" This!

Thank goodness I have semblance of sanity yet.

So, yes -- I love Asian cuisine and have a tendency to try and prepare Asian-inspired dishes. This attempt at Thai red curry was all experimental.

While soaking the shrimp in fresh lime juice and a pinch of salt, I sauteed sweet onions and shallots. Then I added a can of coconut milk along with two tablespoons of honey, about one tablespoon of fish sauce and also two types of chili paste to taste and red curry paste. I also added a bit of onion salt to the mix prior to including the shrimp for a quick cook -- about three minutes total. Didn't want them to overcook.

All of this took about a half hour. In plating the dish, I added some freshly cooked jasmine rice garnished with fresh green onions and served the curry. Next, I sprinkled a bit of cilantro and mint on top. This would have gone well with freshly cut carrots, mushrooms, red bell peppers and lemongrass, but, alas, this was all I had in the fridge. Hum...maybe I should have added some garlic and cumin....

No matter. It was full of flavor and fragrant despite the omissions.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for following my blog! It looks like we have a lot in common. I love Thai food and I'm in higher ed, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I thought the same. And your blog is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a really creative cook and you don't need hokey titles for your food. This looks wonderful. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mary! It turned out to be such a rich dish! Quite a surprise.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog