Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

FOOD CHALLENGE: Red Onions


For those of you who have read Holes by Louis Sachar -- one of my favorite childhood books -- recall the scene when Stanley meets the kid who can eat an onion like an apple? 

I so wanted to do that as a child but I was repulsed by onions.

So much has changed in my adult years. I enjoy peeling away layers of onions and popping them in my mouth from time to time. Yes, yes -- world's worst case of onion breath, but there is something about the tangy, slightly sweet and crunchy texture of sweet onions that simply forces my hand to do this.

...really.

I am sure you've guessed it -- this week's challenge called for onions. Red onions. And, my goodness -- isn't that the most adorable, perfect-looking red onion?!

I made yet another attempt to caramelize onions. Nope, still haven't perfected the skill. But the onions were soft and semi-sweet.

I then prepared my towers, using an ahi tuna steak, sesame seed oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, fresh ginger, green onions, avocado, daikon and sriracha. For a nice surprise, and to add a little bit more texture and flavor, I added slices of seared scallops toward the bottom and center.

I made one for me; one for Nancy. Nancy's was plated with seared spinach, tossed with black truffle oil. She's not a huge fan of onions.

I omitted the spinach for my stack, using the red onions instead. In retrospect, I wish the onions had been slightly more sweet.

I will have to practice pulling out the sweetness in a slow cook, though I am not sure where I went wrong considering it took about 40 minutes to prepare and cook the onions.


I'll have to do a bit more research there.


But, in all -- good flavor
and decent presentation.

5 comments:

  1. Red onions are one of my favorite vegetables. I prefer them raw, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised your onions didn't caramelize after 40 minutes. Maybe the heat was too low? In spite of that, this is a delightful presentation. It gives me ideas. I even have a mold! I'm going to try to track down a remarkable onion recipe I was on Cooking Channel the other day. If I find it, I'll post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. The heat must have been too low. And too low for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the book, but I did see the movie. I know, that doesn't really count. ;-)
    I can't believe you bite into raw onions from time to time. My grandmother used to have a friend from Hungary who liked to do the same thing. She would sit and eat an entire raw onion like it was candy. When I was a kid I would down an entire bottle of pepperocini peppers and then salt the juice and drink that too like it was bourban, slow and savor. The other kids that I was strange. The tuna looks great. I love all the flavors and textures. You'll get the hang of carmelizing the onions soon enough. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is an excellent book, Ree! If you can, I would recommend reading it. It is a very mature book. And, yes -- I am very confident about the onions :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog