Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

FOOD CHALLENGE: Puff Pastry

It is well established that, yes, I am a foodie and love cooking. But I had not discussed why I initiated this blog.

I am now an official member of a group of talented women who, on a weekly basis, participate in self-imposed food challenges. A couple weeks ago, the challenge was avocados. Last week, it was lemon. This week: puff pastry.

We are on a rotation for suggestions. When an item/ingredient is suggested, the incentive for the rest of us foodies is to produce something creative, unique, interesting -- not the knee-jerk recipe that comes to mind. The group has been participating for some time, but this is my first go at it.

I have cooked with puff pastry a couple times before. Love the stuff. But I wanted to produce an entree, not a dessert.

I started by preparing the jasmine rice.

Then, in a skillet, I began the caramelization process for sweet onions. Added some, salt and black pepper, then shallots and mushrooms.

Next, I added lamb that had been marinating in olive oil, brown sugar, garlic salt, cumin, Braggs and a couple other things I threw in. I pan fried this together, adding the rice toward the end. So good that Nancy couldn't help dipping in early.

Meanwhile, the puff pastry was baking in the oven at 400 degrees.

Now, I tried to make my own stacks. When they came out, all I could do was laugh! They looked a total and complete mess! No worries, they tasted fantastic. For the assembly, I plated a puff pastry, adding some panko that I had also pan fried by itself, then crumbled feta cheese on top. Next, I added the lamb/rice mixture and there you have it!

The taste was so full! I was so consumed with producing an awesome meal that I didn't purchase fresh veggies at the market. Thank goodness we still had some edamame, which we enjoyed mostly as a palate cleanser because the dish was so rich. Quite nice! I will most certainly be making this one again.

And for dessert -- fresh strawberries with a light sprinkling of confectioner's sugar.

A beautiful dinner to go with a beautiful night (re: the monsoon is coming!).

*Side note: Nancy wants to know why I didn't mention our wine pairing. We enjoyed Director's Cut Chardonnay by Coppola while I was preparing the meal. Then we enjoyed a Clos Du Bois Zinfandel while enjoying our meal. OK -- yes...I must do a better job explaining the full dining experience :-). Thanks Nancy.

...and look at that! We even have leftovers :-)

3 comments:

  1. sounds great. you should put the full recipe on here. tompkmike@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Michael -- fantastic idea! I have a tendency not to keep a close eye on ingredients, which was the case with this recipe. But, in the future, I will do a better job of tracking the process. Thank you for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now we all know why I have gained 8 pounds since La Monica and I have been together!

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog