Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

First Attempt at Doro Wat

I first thought it pretentious, to try and reproduce what is commonly referred to as Ethiopia's national dish. But doro wat is one of my personal favorite dishes. I also love gomen, tikil gomen, yebeg alitcha, yebeg wot and ayib be gomen. But doro wat! It's spicy, chunky flavor is amazing. And the dish is served with a hard boiled egg! I am a sucker for eggs, you know.

I began with a recipe by Marcus Samuelsson and threw in a few alterations. Shamefully, I admit I did not serve the dish with injera, but used couscous garnished with cilantro instead.

My method:

I gently cooked red and yellow onions with ginger and five cloves of garlic in olive oil for about 20 minutes in a dutch oven. I then added about 1/2 cup of tomato sauce (sorry, no tomato paste in the house) with berbere. I added about three tablespoons of butter, two tablespoons of paprika to the mix and about one cup of chicken stock and cooked this for about another 20 minutes. 

I began boiling the eggs at this point and preparing the couscous, which included a spice pack an obscure  addition of Parmesan cheese that turned out to be an excellent choice.

While this was being prepared, I added some oil to a pan for the chicken that had been marinating in lemon juice and salt for almost one hour.

I pan fried the chicken until slightly brown before placing in the dutch oven. I covered the pot and cooked on a simmer for about 45 minutes. Then I removed the top and blasted the heat for another half hour to burn off some of the juice, rendering a slightly darker sauce.

I wanted a much deeper sauce, but I probably should have cooked it on low for another hour. Toward the end, I added the eggs.

This was my first attempt at doro wat. The flavor was rich and the chicken tasty, having taken on subtle tones of the spices. In the future, I will have to allow for more time for this amazing dish. And, seriously, I need to find some cardamom!

4 comments:

  1. I know nothing about Ethiopian cooking, but I can tell you that whatever its country of origin, this is a delicious meal. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! Ethiopian food is such a contrast to traditional/common American dishes. The meals burst with amazing flavor! To learn more, visit:
    http://www.ethiopianrestaurant.com/introduction.html
    http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Cookbook/Ethiopia.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an interesting dish. I like the idea of serving it with the egg. The flavors sound very good! I love learning about different cuisines. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lyndsey. It is an excellent dish! And, in the traditional form, is served with boiled eggs. Such a decadent addition.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog