Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dining on Air

Tonight called for a light dinner. My interpretation: A full meal with dessert, but with light, fluffy flavors.

This called for fish -- tilapia. It also called for couscous and the broccoli I kept meaning to steam. Plus, Nancy arrived at the house this morning with a sizable donation of strawberries, blueberries and grapes from a friend she had spent time visiting. I immediately thought about the wontons (recall how inexpensive they are). I also gathered crimini mushrooms, fresh garlic. confectioner's sugar, heavy whipped cream and a few other things for dinner and dessert.

I began with the whipped cream. I have never whipped up a cream before, so I wasn't sure what to do. I went ahead and placed the liquid, beater and bowl in the freezer, believing it would help if they were quite cold. I also figured you should just take a beater to a small sampling of the cream and, after about 30 seconds, would begin to see the liquid set.

...not so.

After two failed attempts at beating the liquid, taking a few minutes to catch my breath both times (it was rigorous work!), I decided to turn to the internet. I had no idea whatsoever that you had to add a bit of sugar to the liquid to help it begin to set! Silly me. Live and learn, eh?


So I added about one tablespoon of sugar and another tablespoon of cream cheese and a tiny bit of vanilla extract and watched with total and complete giddiness as the liquid turned into light, fluffy pillows. Yep, keeping with the theme of light. When prepared, the bowl went back into the fridge.

Next up -- the fish. I seasoned the tilapia with salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning and prepared a butter mixture in a pan, slowly sautéing fresh garlic with chives, adding fresh lemon at the very end. I then transferred the mixture to the fish and baked it, uncovered, on 425 for about a half hour. I then covered it and put the head up to 475 for about another 20 minutes.

I then sauteed some garlic and mushrooms in a pan before tossing in the broccoli with about 1/3 cup of water. I placed a lid over the mixture and brought down the heat a bit. Then I made the couscous according to instructions and also prepared the wontons for the dessert.

After dinner, I layered the dessert on a dish. The two of us were so goofy in our photo-taking that we dropped one of the stacks!

And as we sat enjoying our meal, Nancy and I considered the cost of such a meal had we had it in public. We estimated that, all told, the cost would have run us at least $60, and without the tip. I am pretty sure I was able to make dinner and dessert for less than $20. 

2 comments:

  1. This is why I love eating at home (if you can cook). The flavors are exactly the way you want them and it's so much cheaper! As much as I like to cook, though, I admit that I get lazy and just go out at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right! It becomes more and more difficult justifying eating out.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog