Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Plushness That Is...

Bread.

What a wonderful concoction. Amazing that a seemingly simple connection between dough, water and flour with a bit of salt and butter -- or egg if that is your attraction -- could be pounded and molded and massaged into such a gracious mound!

I made my first bread not too long ago. Actually, it was a loaf that. among other things, called for pumpkin puree and rosemary -- a combination that did not quite make since in my novice bread-making mind. But, my goodness! After 16 hours of patient waiting, that little mound turned into a moist burst of tasty bliss with a nice crusty skin. Topped with a pumpkin butter -- the recipe came courtesy of one of my higher education peers by the way -- I felt I had melted.

It was by no means an elusive recipe. It did not take a tremendous amount of time or effort to prepare. Fascinating, I thought! How could something carry so much allure, yet be so accessible at the same time. Goodness, this question applies to so much in life. It was only after taking the time to prepare bread that I began to realize how wholly accessible good and affordable cooking could be! How could one not be obsessed with such a concept?

4 comments:

  1. Bread, once you overcome initial fears is really easy to make. Your loaf sounds wonderful. I'll be making pumpkin yeast rolls in the next few days. You might enjoy that recipe as well. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right! I had no idea, really. And it is quite entertaining working with the bread, especially for someone who cannot stand the feeling of sticky fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so yummy! I would never have joined pumpkin and rosemary--but once you say it, it sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It also contained walnuts. Really, it was the pumpkin butter that made it so very amazing!!! Served warm, that's all one needed for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog