Who's That Girl

My photo
WHO'S THAT GIRL: A higher education obsessed foodie who is documenting her life in the kitchen. I love to cook delicious, gourmet-style foods for those I love and always welcome a challenge in the kitchen. With that challenge comes an impromptu nature. I tend to avoid following recipes to the exact, so you are not likely to find very many posted here. Being that I am a Libra and am learning to be free in the kitchen, the story always goes, "A pinch of this and a smattering of that!" Thank you for visiting -- and happy reading!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Food Chronicles


When I tell people the types of foods I enjoy preparing or when I show them my food photos, I am sometimes fed the line, “I can barely boil a pot of water.”

That’s where I began.

I took an interest in at-home cooking in 2004. That year, I was working in Texas for newspapers. I was young, well paid and free. I cannot quite recall how the realization came, but I found myself paying closer attention to what I was eating and where. I had previously spent much of my life living on the West coast and in the Southwest – locations abundant for food inspired by Mexico and Central America, which I often ate. But moving away from those regions, I took note of the pervasive availability of cuisines I had previously had little exposure to – Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, Ethiopian, Thai, Filipino, Lebanese and German.

I also was rethinking my relationship with food. During that time it was not unusual for me to stop in at a KFC and order chicken strips between my interviews or, at the end of the day, stop at the local Chinese restaurant for sesame chicken. But it made little sense to me to continue to pay upwards from $10 on meals I could easily cook at home – and better.

But it took time.

I started out cooking lots of Mexican food, actually. By 2006, I began reading cookbooks and food blogs, Last Night’s Dinner in particular, on a regular basis. My early experiments were with beef and shrimp mostly. Then I took an interest in steaks and fish. Then different types of pastries and deserts. It was by spring of 2009 that I was cooking at home on a regular basis and, earlier this year, I began to consider presentation and photography.

A friend of mine once described my cooking style as American chic. I fondly accepted the comment, though I do not stick to any particular cuisine. It’s more about the spices, herbs, oils and marinades. My mainstays – what I use most often – include garlic salt, fresh garlic, soy sauce, sriracha, olive oil, ginger, basil and parsley. But I also am attracted to saffron, cumin, curry powder, berbere, chives, cilantro, mint, rosemary, thyme and, most recently, Old Bay seasoning.

2 comments:

  1. i think i started learning how to cook in 2003...i was working at a newspaper in tucson, young, stupid, tired of eating ramen....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! But we cooked a few things together while living together. And, to this day, I sooo want a rice cooker!!!

    ReplyDelete

High Traffic Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog